Thursday, August 25, 2011

Keep Calm and Carry On...uh...yeah

So I know that I have said it before that planning a wedding is stressful. It is, and right now I've been hit by the wave of stress & slight panic. I think that is the best thing about wedding planning, everything seems to go in waves. At least for me it did. Moments of silence, very little planning, and minor details got worked out within seconds, and then there are moments that you are sure you are going to have  a heart attack, you know there is no possible way it's all going to get accomplished, and one more person asked you about color or fabric you are going to scream. 

Well I'm not quite to that extreme, but I'm stressin'. I suppose that is normal, and up until this point I've been pretty easy going. However, I definitely know that I need to de-stress. How do I de-stress...lots of ways depending on my moods. 

First, and foremost there is shopping. This wasn't always the case and I would have to say that is because growing up the closest descent mall to us was 45 minutes away. Now, I have 3 within about 20 minutes of me in each direction. Living in a bigger city has opened my shopping world. Not always in a good way. Let me be clear though, I'm usually good about saving money and not going too overboard. Anyways, helllllloooo retail therapy. I was just talking to my girl Danielle, over at It's a Newlywed Life, she's a friend in real life and now a blogger bud too, about this and how guys don't understand how shopping really is therapy. I know that I feel good when I buy things, not things I don't need just to buy them, things that make me look good, in turn feel good. When you get  into the mall or wherever you go for your shopping crave you just tend to lose yourself. You aren't worried about RSVP's or cleaning the kitchen. No, you are worried about "Oh, I love that shirt, does it come in my size. Oh no, my size is not here, where is a store person they have to have it in the back. I must have this shirt!" You know it's true, and honestly I think it's ok as long as you don't go crazy! Why is it wrong to buy a pair of shoes that make our hearts sing a little bit when you put them on...honey you couldn't be so right. And let's be honest, it is probably cheaper than therapy with a doctor. Just saying...

Exercising. So as much as I really do not like to exercise it is a good de-stressor for me. It makes me feel better and really I should do it more often than what I do. A lot of the time I find it helpful to run or walk with Gunner as exercise. Wears the little bugger out and I get to get the heart pounding a bit. Thinking about it, I think I might have to go for a run tomorrow morning. I'm someone who doesn't always psychically feel her stress right away. It could be a day or two after the kind of stomach knotting feeling dissipates and then wham my shoulders feel like they are so tight they are up to my ear lobes, or I've clenched my jaw so hard in my sleep it feel likes my lower mandible is made of rock the next morning. Exercise relieves that soreness and stiffness for me. However, so does my next point. 
This looks like a good work out period, but it's easy for a stress work out because you don't really even need to think about what you are going to do :) At least to me it is!
A good pampering. Whether it be a massage, facial, mani, pedi, or getting your hair did it always feels good and better to have someone else do all the work just to make you look/feel better. I am huge fan of pampering. I would say I would prefer this over shopping, but don't do it nearly as much as I go run around and shop for a bit. Kind of weird I guess. I do get my nail and toenails done often, and I for one believe I deserve it :) Plus you get to double up on the de-stessors and also have aromatherapy incorporated. It's a double whammy to the stress block.


Ok this is a bad one and I  know that, but I do it slightly. I think everyone does a little bit, unless you are one of those really strong willed people that I envy at times. Stress eating. I know there are different levels, and I will agree that sometimes people go entirely to far. However, I see nothing wrong with indulging in some fast food, ice cream, or something for a meal or snack to boost the spirit a bit. I know this can be a dangerous game to play for some people, but I have my sh*t on lock down, don't you worry. There are certain foods you can eat to help with your stress as well. Maybe if you feel the need to do this like I do you should stick to these categorizes: best foods for stress relief

or two....
Simply taking some deep breathes, and potentially a nap. Sometimes it feels so good just to get a couple deep breathes in. You can feel that tightness in your chest pulling as you inhale, but after about the second good breathe in and out you feel just a little bit lighter. Think happy thoughts, whether it be "everything is ok", counting to start regulating your breathing, or just kind of not thinking anything. Taking your mind off the situation or redirecting the energy from negative to positive is always a good way to relax and gain perspective. 

Finding a hobby that you can use to de-stress with. Gardening, puzzles, reading, and the list goes on and on. Anything to redirect your thoughts from the stress is going to help you relax. Even then I don't necessarily think it's bad to think about the things stressing you out as long as you can promise yourself not to action any of those items until you've had a chance to unwind. Being able to just think about the situation without having to worry about acting on it that second, or even within the next hour, or day makes you realize that things aren't going to be as difficult as you think, you can get a plan of action better set up in your mind, and in turn you could end up being much more efficient. 
Here is a whole list of hobbies from if you are at a loss of what to do. It's actually the largest list of hobbies in the world!
I would have to say that this is my favorite de-stressor and this happens far more often than anything else. Hanging out with Kevin and my friends. I like to spend time with the people that I care about, and at the same time you can get a chance to discuss anything that might be giving you some stress. Friends can help out or offer there opinion/insights on a situation. Of course the future hubs always can calm me down. It's nice just to be able lounge with some good company. 

True dat!
Hopefully the ways that I battle stress help you out. I know that effective immediately stress & I are no longer friends. 

Bye-bye stress.

No comments:

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover