Thursday, July 14, 2011

What changed...

Something in this world has changed, and it's not for the better. I just read the story about the missing 8 year old in NY. If you haven't read it, I'm not sure you are going to want to. It's horrific, disgusting, and just makes you want to cry. Stories like these are make me often think about the way the world use to be versus how it is now. Yet I still can't figure out what changed. 

I think it's an awful thing that the world is coming to be a place where you can't let your kids play in their own yard without supervision. I think it's an awful thing that you have to worry about some creeper video taping your kids on the playground. I think it's an even worse thing that everyone and their brother that does these terrible things claim their insane and that makes it "okay". Yes, some of them are, but others are not! Some are just plain out sadistic and bad people. It terrifies me to think if this is how things are now how are they going to be 10, 20, 30 years down the road. Part of me blames technology and media. When someone like Casey Anthony can start talking movies not even 3 days after her trial it makes me want to barf. It's like we love to praise people who do not deserve it...**cough cough** Charlie Sheen (he is NOT winning nor will I give in to that B.S.). 
That's not all of it, you can't blame everything on something else. So what is changing with people that is making things so different. Doesn't it seem like you never really heard about these things happening when your parents were kids, or even when you were a kid. Don't get me wrong I know terrible things have happened all through history, but they didn't seem to happen as much as what they do now.  Maybe they did and it was just the fact that there was no way to publicize it like there is now. Is that what has changed? Have their always been that many sickos out there? I personally don't think so, but I could be completely wrong. Maybe it has something to do with the family structure..morals and values don't seem to be the same as they use to be. Respect and love don't even seem to mean the same thing, and I've personally witnessed (mainly in various jobs) enough kids getting away with doing & saying things my parents would have never allowed...and I can tell you right now neither will mine! These are just the little things I'm referring too - jeans worn to a wedding..by an adult, kids walking on tables where their parents are eating (and the parents letting them!), telling someone you love them only after a week of knowing them (I know it can happen, but really?!). Can't imagine what happens behind closed doors.

I suppose I'll never really know one way or the other, but I do hope that this world is left a better place when I leave it than what I think it is now. I apologize for such a morbid post but it's been weighing on my mind.

"Do no harm & leave the world a better place than you found it"
- Patricia Cornwell

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very thought provoking and sooo true!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover